A really good day today, and a good update to be writing.
We met with the doctor this evening and generally felt a bit more positive about things afterwards. He himself seemed more positive, dwelling less on the “scary” information that we’ve been processing over the last two weeks, and touching more on the fact that things are going pretty much according to plan.
1. The operation yesterday (tracaeotomy) went well he said. The procedure was uncomplicated and the bronchoscopy enabled them to clear some residual stuff from his lungs, though he said there was no more than is usual in cases like these.
2. Dr Moeng used terms like “I spoke with Tom and he indicated that the feeding tube in his mouth was uncomfortable. So we’ve agreed we may move it to the nose to make it easier for him”. This is great because Tom will thrive on direct input from his doctor, thirsting as he will be for sense and honest information on his predicament.
3. He said that tomorrow they may try sit him up slightly more, which may also ease his discomfort further.
4. Tom’s sedation levels are diminishing rapidly now and certainly today he seemed more focussed and able to communicate with slight nods and shakes of his head. He is being given something to help him sleep at night though.
5. The attempt to wean him off the ventilator will start in the next day or two. This will take some time. This is the next major hurdle for Tom so lets focus on this and direct all positive energy in this direction.
Everyone who saw him today felt that he was much more aware, and whilst its still difficult to communicate and you feel helpless when he clearly wants to tell you something, you really know that he is “with” you and drinking in whatever information you can give him. I told him many, many people love him, and are there for him, and he nodded. He knows.